Author Topic: New Member New Zealand  (Read 4781 times)

Offline RuaphuNZ

• Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • Cubic capacity, bigger the better eh.
    • View Profile
    • Powerco
Re: New Member New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
Hey Richard, your just down the road from me in new plymouth (well 300 odd K's, lol)

Re parts, I have a lead on a dead CBR 750 up here, straight bike but had a buggered crank. Been trying for a few weeks to locate a number, address of the guy. Currently sitting in a farm shed under a blue cover from what I'm told. Apparently he tried to sell it locally but i must have missed this some how. Waiting on info from a mate who is currently in England. I was keen to get my hands on it as a project at the time.
:07:

I'm not having any luck tracking this bike down, Ph number I've managed to get goes no where! smile1004dow
Laid back, cruising along listening to my wonderful 2.0L Vulcan Vee twin 'thump-thump' all day long, devouring the miles, enjoying life to the fullest, feet first.

Offline Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
Patience is the key hahahaha i hate it when that happens something is so close yet so far away smile1004mad

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 16:12:29 PM »
And to be honest, I never understood why the 750 has gears driving the cams, and the 1000's had a chain again....

As I understand, it is for catalog. At 1987, Honda unveiled five Hurricane bikes. CBR250R,CBR400R,CBR600F,CBR750,CBR1000F.
250,400 and 700 are for primary Japan. 600 and 1000 are for export.
250,400 and 750 have cam gear train. 600 and 1000 have chain drive.
At that time, Japanese motorcycle market was so fierce. Honda needed something different, something more sexy or something more technological advantage.
  However,there was no such reason for export model. And ordinary mechanism, chain drive is easy for maintenance. But if cam gear train needs some maintenance work, it may be more difficult for ordinary mechanic. Another reason for chain drive is cost. Obviously chain drive is cheaper than gear drive.

For us, cam gear train has two pro.
1) we don't need to worry about cam chain tensioner, or chain problem. Some Japanese guy's CBR has 700000km mileage with original cam gear drive.
2)  The prestige. Most of modern motorcycles made a compromise with cam chain drive. Because of cost. But your 25 or 26 years old motorcycle has more advanced meachanism for cam drive.

Offline robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 18:55:57 PM »
Honda had a similar set of camgear driven bikes in the VFR range, a 400 (NC30) and a 750 (what I know of, there can be more, but again mostly for the home japanese market) the exceptions are the RC 30 and rc45, which were exported to several countries, but were also very rare, mainly because they were very expensive, to build and to buy....