Author Topic: RC27's bad cowl design  (Read 104 times)

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
RC27's bad cowl design
« on: August 01, 2020, 09:53:00 AM »
As you know, RC27 is 1st generation full covered cowl design motorcycle for consumers. Therefore, Honda did not understand how to design plasticky cowl parts at that time.

Please see attached photo. Red arrow pointed parts are problematic. Because nut clip is attached under layer plastic.
However, bolt and nut clip are tightly bonded due to aging. Therefore, you have to coat engine oil,copper grease or thread compound to the bolt for preventing from fixation.

If you apply rotating force to the bolt, it may result destruction of under layer plastics.

Why did I say this? Because I experienced the problem.

I also have Futura, Italian full covered design motorcycle, but its design time was about 10 years later. And it does not have such problematic points. And Aprilia's nut clip has shallow hole. But RC27's nut clip has deep bolt hole and prone to cause fixation.

Even youngest RC27 is already 32 years old. All plastic cowl part became fragile and can not accept large force. Please be careful.

If you have deep pocket, maybe still some cowl parts are available from Honda parts network.
Or if you have big 3D printer, you can make parts by yourself.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:16:48 AM by xpd153 »

Offline robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
Re: RC27's bad cowl design
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 15:05:34 PM »
Honda wasn't the first, Ducati was a year sooner with the Paso, I have no idea how they tackled that problem.
And Honda made the same mistake on another part as well, the coolant reservoir is also almost impossible to remove after some years of use in all weather....
But as I have said before, Honda did not really expect their bikes to be still in use after so many years, they would rather have sold us a new bike after a few years gribbin12

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 15:42:15 PM »
Oh, I did not know coolant reservoir problem.
According to the parts list, it looks like simple single bolted design.  What would happen about reservoir tank? bolt fixation?

Offline robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 18:05:07 PM »
Yes, metal nut in a plastic part, bolt rusts in the nut and the square nut turns in the plastic reservoir....