Author Topic: Ronin  (Read 175 times)

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
Ronin
« on: July 13, 2020, 02:30:11 AM »
One of my favorite youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIs9nkveW9WmYtsOcJBwTg (Itchy boots).

Dutch female motorcyclist is travelling the world.
At season 1, she toured India,Myanmar,Thai,Malaysia,Oman,UAE, Iran, central asia countries, Turky, Greece,Serbia, Austria,Germany and Netherlands.
At season 2, Argentina,Chille, Bolivia and Peru. At Peru, she was locked due to COVID-19.

So she returned to Netherlands without her Royal Enfield Himalayan. Because she could not arrage motorcycle transportation. Her Himalayan is stored at somewhere in Lima.

She decided to tour some European countris. For that purpose, she bought Honda CB500X 2019 year model. That is excellent choice.
Then she requested her new motorcycle's name to youtube viewers.

And there were many Japanese name candidates because of Honda.
 Finally she choose Ronin. (浪人)

Before her name selection,I told her. Ronin has some negative meaning and not so good as her motorcycle name.

In the case you may want to name your motorcycle, I offered some anaylysis about Ronin.

a) Ronin is a samurai without master
b) In later Tokugawa era, samurai was no longer warrior. Because there was no war. All control class were samurai. However, sometimes Daimyo(Samurai's master) was destroyed by Tokugawa shogunate due to several reasons. When Daimyo was destroyed, his subordinates(samurai) became Ronin. So he and his family did not get paycheck anymore.  He had a few options. Get new master(quite difficult) , change class(Farmer, Merchant or Craftsman) or bandit.
c) In modern days, there are two meanings. In this case, female Ronin exists.
c1) If you failed college entrance examination, you are student without college/univ. You have to try next year examination for getting college/univ. You are a Ronin.
c2) If your employer is out of business or you are simply fired, you are not self emplyed and have no employer. You have to get new employer(master). You are a Ronin.
d) In feudal Japan, all Ronin were male. Never female.

So you must consider these things before naming Ronin to your Japanese motorcycle smile1004yes
And please don't call 'her'. Female Ronin did not exist in original meaning.

Anyway, the story of Norary(Itchy Boots) and Ronin will begin soon. Probably Nordic countries touring.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:40:31 AM by xpd153 »

Offline robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
Re: Ronin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 13:33:44 PM »
I normally do not watch Vlogs very often, and never encountered this nice young lady.
But I must say, she does it very nice. I watched the series of tours she did here in the Netherlands (on a Royal Enfield called Lima she got loaned from the importer) and saw some places I know very well, she started the first tour less than 10 km from my home! I live only 12 km from Utrecht winky5a

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 01:17:31 AM »
It looks like season 3 will start on Aug 14. Yesterday, sneak preview was posted.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrt_imxZB0
The video is very good. I guess the location is Iceland,Norway,Sweden or Finland.

Offline robvangulik

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
Yes, very nice, I'll keep an eye on her.
Saw some more of her travels, and must say she is not easily scared. And like you said before, with a Honda it will ride better :thumbs:
Oh, and by the way, I also rejuvenated my post on "the History of the CBR750 Hurricane", the pics were lost when the site went down last year.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:37:09 PM by robvangulik »

Offline BERTYE

• Other bikes. VFR800 VTEC, VTR1000 Firestorm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 15:32:38 PM »
She is in Iceland at the moment  :luxhello:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4L2lowsZQ
For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.

Bruce Lee

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 07:49:19 AM »
And she called Ronin(CB500X), 'her', in spite of my recommendation smile1004boo

Offline robvangulik

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
All her motorcycles are female, oh well, if it feels good for her...
Wasn't there a famous song called "a boy named Sue"?

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 13:56:44 PM »
Well, no matter how any song exists or not . Her interpretation about Ronin is wrong.

Like,
Naming Knight to her motorcycle and call her.
Naming Hooker to her motorcycle and call him.

Most of people don't do such thing because concept of knight and hooker are well known to western world.
But Ronin is not the case.

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 02:03:40 AM »
Due to the pandemic, her season 3 ended at relatively few episodes. Because She was not able to enter Finland.

About week ago, season 4 started. It looks like her motorcycle sports series in Netherlands.

Offline robvangulik

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 14:43:25 PM »
Yeah, she's not having the best weather lately, but that is to be expected this time of the year...