Author Topic: Wheel bearings  (Read 88 times)

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
Wheel bearings
« on: June 30, 2020, 14:41:40 PM »
My RC27(45,000km clock) will get new chain, new wheel bearings and new drive/driven sprockets within a couple of weeks.

So I would like to ask you, robvangulik. Your SC21 recorded over 300,000 km clock.

How many times have you replaced F/R wheel bearings on your SC21?

One of merit by having multiple motorcycles is, you can compare its feelings between them.

In my case, Futura has less friction and CBR has more friction at coasting.

Offline robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 21:55:19 PM »
On my white bike I replaced the front bearings once, the rear wheel bearings once and the sprocket carrier bearing twice since 1994, when I bought the bike with some 25.000km on the clock.
On my black bike I had to do that more often, I think because for the last 25 years that has been ridden mostly in winter (and a lot of salt on the road) and overall bad weather. I didn't always make notes of changing wheelbearings on that bike, but it must have been at least 3 sets  of bearings on the rear, and maybe 2 in front. And that is since 1989, bought with 32k km. And I do not count the new ones I put in when changing to the wider SC24 wheels.
Both those bikes are now well past 300k km, black 14k and white 35k.
On my bikes I don't feel much difference in coasting, not even between the 400 and the 1000's, most important I think is that the brakes run free...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 22:00:05 PM by robvangulik »

Offline xpd153

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:25:06 AM »
#1 photo displayed SC21 did not get floating disc. At RC27, H has non floating but J got floating disc. There is a mystery why SC21 did not get disc rotar update. Because SC21 had larger production numbers. According to my memory, even SC24 did not get  floating disc.

According to #2 photo,  the old bearing was broken. The ball seat was broken? And the distant collar was very rusted.

In Japan, wheel bearing price is relatively cheap. Therefore, replacing the bearing in any case and not greasing may be reasonable.

Have you ever just greased, but no replacing the bearing in over 300K km running record?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:28:51 AM by xpd153 »

Offline robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 16:34:27 PM »
Bearings are cheap here too, and greasing has no use as the grease is enclosed in the bearing, you can see the ring that should be on it next to the old one. These are SC24 discs, much better than the SC21 discs, a bit heavier though.
And no, Like I wrote, I had to replace all wheelbearings at least once over the years.
I don't mind, with taking the wheel out it is less than half an hours work and if it needs to be done it needs to be done, like tyres and brake pads etc. without them a bike doesn't run!