You are Here:
New from the UK

Author (Read 46 times)

New from the UK
« on: October 12, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »

Nou

Hi all, thankfully found this site having recently brought a 1998 Hurricane, I was beginning to think I may be on my own! The bike was being sold as a project or spares with no MOT but in very good all round condition. The intermittent starting fault was rectified, new tyres and front brake overhaul and it has now passed its MOT. Unfortunately the weather in the UK is dire and no real prospect of any meaningful rides until next year! So I will endeavour to use my down time in researching the bikes history and gathering any information I can find on the CBR 750 genus, which appears to be sparse! I have attached a couple of photo's. If anyone can shed any light on the bikes history, registration - E509 NOU, I would be very grateful and any links to owners manual or any other general information would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Re: New from the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 13:19:07 PM »

BERTYE

Welcome :dance: Bit of work to do with the plastic, but you have a good exhaust.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 14:17:05 PM by BERTYE »

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 01:32:30 AM »

robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
Welcome, it looks like it needs mostly cosmetic care to make it a very acceptable bike again :thumbs:
That is the bike Bill was looking for and missed...

There is a lot of info at the top of the tech pages, and I'll make a new topic tomorrow with the story of the CBR750F Hurricane sticky on the general info forum.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 06:29:43 AM »

xpd153

• Ultimate Member
What I can tell you is as follows.

Yours is 1988 year model, FJ. Because the front brake rotor is floating and the rear direction indicator is separate type.
FJ is much rare than 1987 model,FH. I guess total production number of FJ is less than 2500.

There are four version parts lists and two version service manuals.
The last version parts list and the last version service manual have FJ specific description.

Obviously front upper cowl has different color. The gauge has SC21's 180MPH speed meter. But the tacho has Japanese speed warning lump which means Japanese 180km/H speed restrictor inside.
Yours does not have a belly cowl and has aftermarket silencer.

For battery protection, you need intelligent battery charger or tender.
Blute-force charger may dry up your battery.

And checking Regulator/Rectifier healthiness is necessary. OE Shindengen regulator/rectifier is good. But it is 31 years old. It may lose its capability gradually.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:31:29 AM by xpd153 »

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:38:29 AM »

Golem

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Alexander's Web page
What I can tell you is as follows.

Yours is 1988 year model, FJ. Because the front brake rotor is floating and the rear direction indicator is separate type.
FJ is much rare than 1987 model,FH. I guess total production number of FJ is less than 2500.

There are four version parts lists and two version service manuals.
The last version parts list and the last version service manual have FJ specific description.

Obviously front upper cowl has different color. The gauge has SC21's 180MPH speed meter. But the tacho has Japanese speed warning lump which means Japanese 180km/H speed restrictor inside.
Yours does not have a belly cowl and has aftermarket silencer.

For battery protection, you need intelligent battery charger or tender.
Blute-force charger may dry up your battery.

And checking Regulator/Rectifier healthiness is necessary. OE Shindengen regulator/rectifier is good. But it is 31 years old. It may lose its capability gradually.

If it has a MPH speedo is it still restricted at 180 kph?

Anyway bike looks good! I like the separate indicaters on the rear more than the build in ones to be honest.
Veho ergo sum

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 14:01:41 PM »

xpd153

• Ultimate Member
I think previous my description is wrong.
But that gauge has SC21 speed meter and RC27 tacho meter.
The restrictor resides in speed meter section.