You are Here:
1987 Honda hurricane 750 CDI

Author (Read 56 times)

1987 Honda hurricane 750 CDI
« on: October 21, 2018, 00:13:55 AM »

Serina

I'm trying to buy a CDI for my 750 but I'm not having much luck at all, if anybody has one or knows of one for sale that would be awesome

Re: 1987 Honda hurricane 750 CDI
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 15:23:02 PM »

xpd153

• Ultimate Member
I am not sure about your situation.

a) Original Honda parts were broken. Searching for replacement Honda parts.
b) not satisfied with original Honda ignition system. Needs more high performance.

If your case is b), MSD may be a candidate. However, you need basic knowledge about ignition system.
If your case is a), first of all, you have to find Honda parts #. This site has scanned partslist pdf.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 22:01:36 PM »

robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
Are you definitely sure it is the CDI you need and not a pulse generator or ignition coil?
Pulse generators are far more often known to to be at fault, because they live in a hot and dirty environment, near the crankshaft.

If it is the CDI you need, try a search on google or ebay, I see several parts at for instance www.webike.com.
The part# for the CDI is 30400-mm4-000 .
I have also heard that the cdi for the CBR1000F 1987/88 will work on the 750 Hurricane, although I never had the chance to verifie that myself.

On our homepage under 'technics' you can find the parts manual, be it in Japanese, and on www.cmsnl.com lots of info can be found too, they even seem to have a cdi for sale, but at a staggering price.....
Please let us know how you are getting on, it can be of interest for lots of other bikers around the world!

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:46:20 AM »

Serina

The bike had been sitting for a number of years not being used so most parts need replacing on it and the bike is at the mechanics atm it has been there for nearly 3mths now and they are unsure of what the problem is and I don't know if they actually know what the problem is. They flushed the fuel tank out again and said they had it running really well and did appx 30klms with it but then they left it for 2/3days and now they can't start it again it does not want to do a cold start (we don't get very cold over here in Qld) so they have said it may be the CDI which I will let you guys know if it fits as I've ordered one from a 1000cc 87/88 hurricane as I also had to get the diaphragms made up for it from jbm industries for $19 each, I think they said the ignition coils are new so I'll suggest they look at the pulse generator on my bike as well, thank you

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »

robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
If after 3 months they still aren't sure which part they need, my first search would be for a real mechanic. Finding parts can take some time but diagnosing the problem should be a matter of hours, not months! Essentially any combustion engine needs fuel and air in the right mix, spark at the right moment and compression. It should be quite easy to find out what is missing to get the bike running!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 06:53:25 AM »

xpd153

• Ultimate Member
CBR750 is a product before computerization. I think it does not have a microprocessor at all. I agree with Robvangulik.
CDI or coil are relatively die hard parts.

I think you need true motorcycle mechanic. In many case, carburetor needs complete cleaning and parts replacement.