You are Here:
front spring pressure

Author (Read 1606 times)

front spring pressure
« on: April 24, 2011, 21:51:45 PM »

densmee

What must be the frontspring pressure.
on top off the fork is a airvalve

of in het nederlands boven op de vorkpoten zit een auto ventiel aansluiting is dit voor de stevigheid van de vering, want mijn 750 duikt nogal als ik hard rem.
en op hoeveel bar moeten deze dan staan?

Re: front spring pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 22:34:29 PM »

robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
The maximum airpressure in the frontfork is 0.4 atmosphere, but most riders ride without extra pressure, as it puts quite a load on the forkseals. If the forks are too soft, you'd better put a little extra oil in, start with something like 10 cc. extra. You can also put an extra washer (ring) on top of the spring, to make it firmer. It all depends largely on the weight of the rider too :uptosomething:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 22:36:27 PM by robvangulik »

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 13:07:54 PM »

RuaphuNZ

• Donator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Powerco
Hi Densmee, I had issues a while back with fork pressures and done some upgrades. I posted them a while back here. I have copied in what I done below. Best Advice, don't put air in the forks, just causes fork seal issues, Cheers Andy.

""Using advice from this thread I have changed the fluid to ATF instead of fork oil. I also opted to added an extra 100mls intially (also from advice lifted from this thread) to each leg. Having given the new set up a decent work out I have since removed 50mls from each leg.

Additionally I made up and installed longer stainless steel preload spring spacers. These spacers are 15mm longer, bugger all I know, but combined with the oil changes everything has worked a treat.

Lastly I no longer require any air in the front forks apart from what is in there when the fork caps were screwed on.

These minor changes have resulted in a BIG difference to the front end of how it 'feels' and performs. Intially the front end was too mushy for my liking and did not match the 'factory' firm rear end setup. I now have a firm front end that matches the rear really well. However it is not rock hard so it still soaks up the day to day road works without jarring, skipping or hydraulic-ing when really pushed hard. The bike no longer feels 'unsettled' when pushed hard but alot more compliant and controlable, really helping my confidence.

Once again my thanks must go to Rob for his advice & pointers that work, cheers dude      

Cheers, Andy
""  

PS. the ATF used is 10w not 5w oil
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 13:10:20 PM by RuaphuNZ »
Laid back, cruising along listening to my wonderful 2.0L Vulcan Vee twin 'thump-thump' all day long, devouring the miles, enjoying life to the fullest, feet first.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 15:19:55 PM »

robvangulik

• Global Moderator+Donator
  • Ultimate Member
  • If you brake late, you're riding fast longer
    • View Profile
I couldn't have said it better :lol: ( flattering makes me blush :gafa: )

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 17:10:05 PM »

RuaphuNZ

• Donator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Powerco
  :respekt: credit where credit's due.  :thumbs:
Laid back, cruising along listening to my wonderful 2.0L Vulcan Vee twin 'thump-thump' all day long, devouring the miles, enjoying life to the fullest, feet first.